My name is Keely Murray, and I am an elementary teacher candidate at UNBC.  I’m from the small town of Black Creek, where there are more cows than people.  In growing up in a small, rural town, I spent most of my childhood outdoors: at the beach, up the mountain, in the woods, at the farms of friends and families.  Getting outdoors and messy is a big part of who I am, and I’m looking forward to bringing the outdoors into my classroom — or my classroom into the outdoors — in the ways that the teachers I had growing up were able to do.

I’ve spent the last five years in Victoria, completing my BSc in linguistics at UVic, getting a blue belt in karate, and building relationships.  I hope to be able to build as strong a community at UNBC over the next sixteen months, and through my classes with my future students and colleagues.

I look forward to being able to connect with my students, and to help them in the beginning of their journey to discover who they are and what their place is in the world.  I’ve worked with children before, and the excitement they show when they finally figure out something they’ve been struggling with never fails to put a smile on my face, and I’m excited to be able to be in a position where I can make that happen regularly.

Working with kids has always been a dream of mine, and I am thrilled to be on my way to be making that a reality!